CONTINUE TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE, EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU’VE READ THIS ALREADY.
1. MEDICAL RECORDS SHOULD COME DIRECTLY TO ME FROM THE PROVIDER, NOT THROUGH THE PILOT
Safety assessments consider the validity of records through a chain of custody procedure. If the file comes through an non-medical intermediary, the file hypothetically could altered and this limits its usefulness.
Some medical records systems allow the client to print medical records at home. Not only would this break the chain of custody, most states do not allow a client to access mental health records without approval from the clinic.
Legal records can come directly from the pilot.
2. WHERE DOES THE CLINIC SEND RECORDS?
Aviation Psychiatry, LLC
Gregory L. Kirk, MD
2036 East 17th Avenue
Denver, Colorado, 80206
Emailed records should be to sent to
3. YOU SHOULD REQUEST THE ENTIRE FILE, NOT A TYPE- OR DATE-LIMITED SUBSET
Requesting the entire records ensures that no critical component of the safety assessment has been overlooked or ignored.
Most institutions prefer that you use their own release forms. You may be able to download a form from the facility’s website, if they have one, or you can call the hospitals medical records department (sometimes called Health Information Management) and ask about the records release procedure.
In the FAA Specification Sheet for a psychiatric examination, one of the core duties that the aviation psychiatrist must complete is:
A review of all available records, including academic records, records of prior psychiatric hospitalizations, and records of periods of observation or treatment (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, counselor, or neuropsychologist treatment notes). Records must be in sufficient detail to permit a clear evaluation of the nature and extent of any previous mental disorders.
Hospital records often include multiple categories of records to select. This is what counts as a full hospital record:
- Physician discharge summary
- Admission history and physical
- Psychosocial assessment/summary
- All counselors notes
- All physician notes and orders
- All laboratory testing data
- All nursing notes
- Emergency Department report, if any
- Psychological report, if any
- Counselor’s discharge summary, if any
- Substance use/abuse assessment, if any